I met Jam through the Black Milk Clothing Group. She asked that I email her the questions. I need to start talking to people on the phone more.
1.What type of clothes do you sell? What determines if you sell a piece of clothing versus keeping it, giving it away, etc?
I sell clothes that I find I have no more practical use for but still think hold some sort of value. for instance blackmilk has a constant resale value someone will always be willing to buy something your willing to get rid of.
I also sell items that are from independent designers that make a lot of one of pieces I cant imagine just handballing a piece of clothing that I searched hard for or see something special in it.
2. How often do you sell clothing? Buy it? Is there a particular type of clothing you like to buy used? Is there a particular time when you find yourself buying/selling more than usual? How about for the other people in the group?
I sell clothing rarely, mainly when I’m going through some sort of reinvention phase or am in desperate need for extra cash. I know my clothing collection can collect a fair bit of coin, my wardrobe to me is more like a gallery rather then clothes I wear. (if that makes sense) I buy clothing only on impulse when I see something that I really like, that appeals to my identity (for eg. I was urban outfitters yesterday I saw a grey stussy tank with rasta colours thrown in it, I bought it without trying it on, didnt care for price it was something that screamed to my liking and I love it) I find myself buying more then usual (online) when I’m feeling a detatchment from other things, if life is mundane retail or online retail therapy goes a very long way sadly. I only really sell clothes when I can’t bear to give it up, plus I have dropped a fair bit of cash on my wardrobe it would be nice to get something back from some of my shopping mistakes.
3. Why do you use this group? What do you like/dislike about it? Absolute favorite thing and what do you hate the most about it?
I find the blackmilk buy sell swap over the years has become a bit to rigid and risky as apposed to when they only had 5000 fans when I was on it. it was more honest and personal exchange or selling of a product. Now there is too many rules about posts and the kind of internet speak you have and people are using it more as a search engine for themselves rather then to really do business.. Too many threats about using the page incorrectly and getting temporarily removed from the group. As much as I have dabbled and used that page I can’t help but want to tell the creators to get their heads out of their asses and realize its just a fucking resale group if anything your mocking blackmilk by setting up that sort of exchange, the only real favour theyve done for them is provide an unofficial refund for people who make regret purchases which I guess is why black milk tolerate it. I think the group functioned alot better when there wasnt so much traffic and popularity. and your posts wouldnt get lost and flooded under everyone elses. Also because people know about it now you get a lot of fakes on there which makes me hesitant, every now and then you might strike a good deal and get a piece you really wanted but missed at the launch date but otherwise I turn to ebay for selling my black milk. I still advertise it on the BSS page, but only if I’m in a hurry to get some extra cash.
4. Is this group the go-to place for you to sell clothing? Why or why not?
No its not my go to. I like ebay for these sorts of things when it comes to me selling before I buy anything from BSS I have to investigate the persons profile whose advertising something to sell to ensure I’m not getting jibbed
5. What other solutions have you tried to use? Have you ever tried eBay, Craigslist, Plato’s closet or a store that pays you, Poshmark? What did you like/dislike about each experience?
Only ebay, it worked well. the process went smoothly with the added security of pay pal. Ive only sold a few pieces through there and would stick to it. I have yet to try others and dont intend to. I’d rather the next big app, website for selling clothes to be made.
6. How did you hear about this group? Do you have friends in the group, how do you interact with them within the group (just look at their clothes or do something more)?
I was invited to BSS shortly after becoming a fan of black milk. I dont interact to much with the black milk community as its been growing rapidly and there seems to be a personality attached the community of black milk wearers that while I can admire the attitude of obsession they have about the brand I feel as if I outgrew that phase a while ago.
7. Could you take me through your process? From deciding what to sell to selling it? (Who is involved in this process? How long does it take?)
Firstly I have to decide if I have a piece of clothing just sitting in my room collecting dust that I believe is worth something.
I clean up the garment take some professional photos and determine a resale value
I advertise on Facebook and instagram for any interest personal offers that might wanna set up a pay pal send over exchange which I like doing, quick and easy
If it takes to long to get noticed I put it up on ebay and hope to get some responses
8. Do you interact within the Fb group even when you’re not looking to buy or sell? How and why? Or why not?
Not so much because my notifications go crazy but I know people who have actually made really good friendships through the group.
9. What type of posts do you like? Everything or do you just want to see you favorite categories? Do you look at stuff even if it’s not your size?
Shopping is like a mission for me, I know what I’m looking for so if theres a search engine I go straight for it
10. What are you usually doing right before interacting with the group? How about immediately after?
I try to keep the interaction to a minimum and if there is interaction to be about a transaction. Before and after I guess I’m just going about my usual day
11. Have you ever shared something within the group outside the group? When, why, and how?
not sure what you mean by this questions
12. What mindset are you in when you’re using this group? How are you feeling? Bored/rushed/do you stumble upon it b/c of your newsfeed?
its mixed. if your trying to battle another girl for a piece it can get quite rushed and intense otherwise its like scrolling through a never ending pile of nothing
13. How do you find what you’re looking for? Do you search or just scroll? If you could organize the posts, how would you do it?
A good search engine is VITAL
Categories are okay for those moods when I dont really know what I want but then again they need to be limited but succinct
14. Do you find yourself following a specific category, type of clothing, or person? Like pay extra attention to it?
Not so much, I know what kind of clothing suits me so I go for those styles
15. What type of person do you think uses this fb group the most? What type of person do you think sells the most clothing?
A FANATIC.. for both buy and sell
16. How important is it to you that what you sell is local? Why? Have you ever tried shipping something you’ve sold, how was that experience or why not? Is buying local more attractive? Why? Is there a particular style of clothing you prefer to buy local?
Local is just easier, less risk on the pocket too. I dont want to ship internationally i have no interest in it
and every now and then you get a buyer who lives in driving distance from you and you can meet them in person adn do the exchange personally
17. When you buy/sell, do you prefer using cash or credit? Why? If there was a simple way to use credit, would you prefer that?
I prefer pay pal where ever avail. I dont use credit
18. If you wish you could do anything that you can’t do now when it comes to buying/selling clothes, what would that be? How would that make your life easier?
flat rate shipping world wide.
Have a try on policy and free send back policy
19. How much money would you be willing to spend to have that solution? Why? How would they prefer paying, once, or over time, monthly?
as a buyer I wouldnt subscribe to theses sites if i had to pay for them